Our digestive system is the frontline of our health. It breaks down our food and metabolizes it into energy and many many compounds that our bodies use for day-to-day functioning. Taking care of our digestive system is so important!
Conventional gummies and other sugar-filled, ultra processed snacks can do a number on our digestion. That’s why we like to make our own healthier versions at home.
Making our gut boosting gummies recipe is a simple process that requires one pan, a few ingredients, and just a little bit of time. It’s a great recipe to make with your kids too!
Why Not Buy Store Bought Gummies?
Sadly, gummy vitamins have become popular over the years. It seems like an easier way to give vitamins and minerals to your kids. But most gummy vitamins (and fruit snacks too) also contain artificial colors, natural flavors (that aren’t so natural), and seed oils. Always read the ingredients first! Even items from top organic companies often use no-so-great ingredients. Nutrient dense whole foods are always the best way to give your kids vitamins and minerals unless otherwise advised by your health care practitioner.
Benefits of Homemade Gut Boosting Gummies
Chewy, fruity gummies are beloved by everyone, kids and adults alike. So why not make them at home? It’s so much easier than you think.
Our gut boosting gummies recipe includes ingredients that support your digestive system. But you can alter your recipe to include various fruits and even veggies to create your own gummies for fun. We have an immunity gummies recipe and a sleepytime gummies recipe too! But homemade gummies are more than just delicious. They’re nutrient dense. Unlike their commercial counterparts, the ingredients we use in our homemade gut boosting gummies recipe includes real food ingredients that you can feel good about.
Gelatin Helps Digestion, Sleep & Stronger Joints
Humans have been eating gelatin for centuries, as it is the byproduct of boiling down animal (beef, in the US) bones. Gelatin has immense benefits for our bodies. It is almost entirely made of protein and collagen and has unique amino acids. No wonder grandma’s broths always made you feel better! Gelatin comes naturally through the cooking process, or you can buy it in powder or sheet form and get the same nutrients.
Research shows that gelatin can help build strong bones and teeth, reduce joint pain, improve skin, help you sleep , and rebuild and support gut lining. It can also reduce inflammation in the digestive tract which supports healthy functioning of the immune system.
Whole Foods Can Help Your Kids Digest Better
Ultra processed foods and artificial ingredients can wreak havoc on your kids’ stomachs. Corn syrup, low calorie sweeteners, and other highly processed sweeteners can lead to indigestion, mess with the microbiome, and cause overgrowths of certain bacteria. Raw honey, on the other hand, which is how we sweeten our gut boosting gummies (and many other recipes), is a natural sweetener.
Honey has many great benefits, but to get all these benefits, you’ll want to look for local and raw. When honey is processed, like most of the honey sold at the supermarket, most of the nutrients are lost. Raw honey contains small amounts of antioxidants, potassium, phosphorus, vitamin B6, riboflavin, and niacin. These nutrients help to neutralize free-radical damage and provide essential vitamins and minerals to keep the body healthy.
Coconut milk, another whole food ingredient in these gut boosting gummies, helps your body absorb fat-soluble vitamins (similar to avocados). Without healthy fats from sources like coconuts and avocados, our bodies can’t use certain vitamins like vitamins A, D, E, and K. Coconuts are also an abundant source of fiber, which is essential for gut health. Fiber from coconuts helps keep your bowel movements regular.
The real flavor champion in these homemade gummies is lime. Lime juice can help reduce and soothe indigestion, ease constipation, and provide essential Vitamin C. Limes and other citrus fruits have also been shown to treat and prevent certain gastric infections from bacteria and prevent kidney stones. Lastly, the natural acidity of limes supports our stomach acid in breaking down food properly, and flavonoids present in lime stimulate bile production and help move things along your digestive tract.
With such amazing ingredients, you know these homemade gut-boosting gummies are going to be a great snack for your family.
Lime Gut Boosting Gummies Recipe
- See below for recommended brands
- 2 cups organic lime juice Ideally fresh from about 8 to 12 medium limes
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- lime zest from 1/2 lime
- 1/3 cup grass-fed beef gelatin We like the Perfect Supplement Brand
- Start by greasing your baking dish with the organic raw coconut oil. This will make it easier to remove your gummies from the pan.
- Add 2 cups of 100% organic lime juice and one cup of coconut milk to the pan without turning on the heat.
- Add 1/3 cup of the gelatin to the lime juice and coconut milk mixture. Add it slowly, spreading it evenly across the surface.
- Allow the gelatin to bloom for a couple of minutes.
- Once the gelatin has absorbed the liquid, heat and whisk the mixture in the pan at a very low temperature. The goal here is to help the gelatin dissolve. When it has dissolved completely, turn off the heat.
- Once the pan is removed from the heat, allow it to cool for a few minutes and add 1/4 cup raw honey to the pan. Adding the raw honey into the warm (not hot!) mixture keeps the enzymes intact. If you cook raw honey, it isn’t raw anymore!
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and store it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
- Your super delicious, super nutritious gummies are ready! Slice them into small squares and enjoy at any time during the day!
Our Favorite Brands Shopping List
- Organic raw coconut oil
- Nutiva Organic Raw Coconut Oil
- Thrive Market Organic Raw Coconut Oil (Use this link for 40% off at Thrive Market)
- 100% Organic Lime Juice
- Organic coconut milk
- Grass-fed beef gelatin
- Raw honey
Eat Better, Feel Better
It’s no secret that nutrition is key to most human functioning. Give this gut boosting gummies recipe a try and see how they work for you and your kids! Don’t forget to email us your best recipes and success stories!