Sleep. It’s one of the most important aspects of our children’s development and wellness. Yet, most children don’t get enough sleep.
Quality sleep is associated with many, many benefits for kids including improved attention, behavior, learning, mental health and more. On the other hand, insufficient sleep can result in decreased brain development, learning problems, and more frequently negative emotions. Sleep & nutrition go hand in hand! The better your nutrition the better your sleep and the better your sleep, the better your health. It’s why we wrote an entire children’s book on promoting quality sleep!
When our kids want a snack before bedtime, we like to focus on sleepytime foods that naturally lead to better sleep. This includes foods that are naturally high in potassium, magnesium, tryptophan, melatonin, and more which all help to promote better quality sleep.
And that’s where this sleepytime gummies recipe comes into play. They’re the perfect pre-bedtime snack, and actually, they’re great any time of the day!
Making our sleepytime gummies recipe is a simple process that requires one pan, a few ingredients, and just a little bit of time. It’s a great recipe to make with your kids too!
Why Not Buy Store Bought Gummies?
Sadly, gummy vitamins have become popular over the years. It seems like an easier way to give vitamins and minerals to your kids. But most gummy vitamins (and fruit snacks too) also contain artificial colors, natural flavors (that aren’t so natural), and seed oils. Always read the ingredients first! Even items from top organic companies often use the opposite of health-conscious ingredients. Nutrient dense whole foods are always the best way to give your kids vitamins and minerals unless otherwise advised by your health care practitioner.
Artificial colors are one of the main culprits of store bought gummies and are a concern for all children. Recent research shows that artificial colors in food increase hyperactivity in neurodiverse children, including Red #40, Blue #2, Yellow #5, and Yellow #6. If your child is already prone to hyperactivity, lack of focus, or behavioral issues, you’ll want to avoid these colors…especially before bedtime!
Watch out for boxes that advertise “real fruits and vegetables!” or “full serving of fruit!”, as the ingredient list will likely contain a combination of artificial and natural flavors and little to none of the fruit that’s advertised on the box. It’s not uncommon to find strawberry flavored gummies with no strawberries inside. For fruit gummies to be worth buying, they should list the actual whole fruits and vegetables they used on the label. We haven’t found any companies that do this.
These artificial ingredients can be harmful to your kids’ health. The fact that they’re in vitamins that are supposed to be healthy is confusing and disheartening for us.
It’s always best to get vitamins and minerals through the most whole forms of real food. By making sleepytime gummies at home with raw fruits and organic juice with no added sugar, you can be sure your kids are getting the benefits without the yucky ingredients.
Benefits of Homemade Sleepytime Gummies Recipe
Chewy, fruity gummies are beloved by everyone, kids and adults alike. So why not make them at home? It’s so much easier than you think.
Our sleepytime gummies recipe includes ingredients that promote sleep. But you can alter your recipe to include various fruits and even veggies to create your own gummies for fun. We have an immunity gummies recipe too! But homemade gummies are more than just delicious. They’re nutrient dense. Unlike their commercial counterparts, the ingredients we use in our homemade sleepytime gummies recipe includes real food ingredients that you can feel good about.
Gelatin Helps Sleep, Digestion, & Stronger Joints
Humans have been eating gelatin for centuries, as it is the byproduct of boiling down animal (beef, in the US) bones. Gelatin has immense benefits for our bodies. It is almost entirely made of protein and collagen and has unique amino acids. No wonder grandma’s broths always made you feel better! Gelatin comes naturally through the cooking process, or you can buy it in powder or sheet form and get the same nutrients.
Research shows that gelatin can help build strong bones and teeth, reduce joint pain, improve skin, and even help you sleep – making it the perfect thing to give your kids before bed.
Whole Foods Can Help Your Kids Sleep
Some kids have a hard time falling asleep. Of course, most of us probably know to limit added sugar, caffeine, and screen time before bed. But even with all of that, some children need extra help. Of course, eating some fruit won’t knock them out for the night, but proper nutrition can help! Also, all of these ingredients can be made into sleepytime gummies. Try different combinations and don’t forget to email us your best recipes!
- Tart cherries – Rich in fiber and melatonin. A recent study showed participants had better, more refreshing sleep after consuming tart cherries before bed – which is why they’re the main ingredient in our recipe below!
- Dates – Contain two key nutrients that play a role in sleep: vitamin B6 and potassium. Also in our recipe below.
- Mangos – Antimicrobial nutrients in mangoes help alleviate phlegm and open up passageways for breathing. Consider making gummies from mangos when your kiddo is sick to help them sleep.
- Bananas – Rich in B6 and tryptophan and help increase serotonin, which your body requires to produce melatonin and regulate sleep.
- Kiwi – One of the best fruits to consume before sleeping, kiwis are rich in vitamins and nutrients, including vitamin C and vitamin K. Scientific studies showed that 42% of participants experienced better sleep and fell asleep faster after consuming kiwis before bed.
How to Make Our Sleepytime Gummies Recipe
- Start by greasing your baking dish with the organic raw coconut oil. This will make it easier to remove your gummies from the pan.
- Add 2 cups of 100% organic cherry juice and one cup of coconut milk to the pan without turning on the heat.
- Add 1/3 cup of the gelatin to the cherry juice and coconut milk mixture. Add it slowly, spreading it evenly across the surface.
- Allow the gelatin to bloom for a couple of minutes.
- Next, add 2 TBSP of Acerola cherry powder and 2 (optional) tablespoons of magnesium powder.
- Heat and whisk the mixture in the pan at a very low temperature. The goal here is to help the gelatin dissolve. When it has dissolved completely, turn off the heat.
- Once the pan is removed from the heat, add 1 TBSP of date syrup to the pan.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and store it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.
- Your super delicious, super nutritious gummies are ready! Slice them into small squares and serve as before bedtime. Or eat them at any time during the day!
Our Favorite Brands Shopping List
- Organic raw coconut oil
- 100% Organic Tart Cherry Juice
- Organic coconut milk
- Our favorite brand is Native Forest with No Guar
- Grass-fed beef gelatin
- Cherry powder by Perfect Supplement brand
Eat Better, Sleep Better
It’s no secret that nutrition is key to most human functioning – especially sleep. Give this sleepytime gummies recipe a try and see how they work for you and your kids! Don’t forget to email us your best recipes and success stories!